Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Janine's Artwork: A Family Portrait


It's NOT because I don't take pictures of them as fast as she draws them, OR because I can't find the time to blog about them (YES! IT'S TRUE!), OR because she "destroys" them before I can snatch the paper away. Though those reasons DO contribute somewhat, it's mainly because when it comes to Janine and her artwork, I guard them jealously and hoard them selfishly. I confess. I am like a private collector who only allows viewings of selected pieces from my vast collection. Hahaha! I did say I was selfish right?

But honestly, I will save (almost) every single scrap of paper (much to KY's chagrin) that has her doodlings, especially those that she took the pains to tell you what they were. To me, those drawings are like a small little peephole into what's going on inside that little head of hers which is obviously briming with imagination. It also lets me see the world from HER perspective and honestly, I am sometimes floored by what she sees.

Anyway, as promised some time back, here's a piece (yup! THIS is one of those limited views of a selected piece so SAVOUR it man! lol) that she drew while we were in China:

Drawing_20081208_001

Title: My Family
Artist: Janine Ling
Medium: Paper, (whiteboard) marker


Anti-clockwise from the bottom right: KY drawn with little black dots shrouding his face which is suppose to be his beard/bristles on his chin! Hahaha! Mummy (me!) drawn with (long!) eye lashes because girls have eye lashes. She also drew her mei-mei (at my request) and apparently the baby is crying so there are tears running down her cheeks. Shs also drew a self portrait, complete with strands from her long fringe floating across her face, "like Queen Esther (from Veggietales)".

I am amazed at how she translates what she observes onto paper, and quite eloquently too at that for an almost 3-year-old if I might say so myself *beaming with pride*. Whoever said private collectors of art had to be objective about the artist they patronise?

No comments: