Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 16, 2009

Enriched


Letter001


Ahhhhh...the time has come!

School has only JUST started and already there is lined-up a string of enrichment classes that you can send your children to.

So...Do I be like some kiasu Singaporean parents and sign up IMMEDIATELY for EVERY enrichment classes to hone my daughter's creativity and talents at the first opportunity? Afterall, what if she, for lack of "enrichment", falls behind the rest of the pack and subsequently be disadvantaged educationally for LIFE? Eeeps!

But NAH! I don't think I am going to jump on that bandwagon and sign Janine up for every other enrichment class that she is eligble for just because "it MAY be good for her". Honestly, I think there is way too many enrichment classes floating around and I also think that, while enrichment classes are good, not all will be beneficial for my daughter. Furthermore, I am more inclined to let her enjoy her childhood and not be holed up in some classroom learning about phonics or reciting times tables, etc JUST YET.

I will definitely be sending her for some kind of enrichment class or sorts and I do have in mind where and for what I want to send her to, because there ARE things that I can't teach her and she will benefit from a more "formal" kind of setting. But I will be doing my pickings very carefully and delibrately. The last thing I want to do is kill whatever interest or joy she has in learning or going for classes that will help develope her talents. God forbid if all she can remember about her childhood was being shuttled from one classroom to another instead of out frolicking in the playground and enjoying the sunshine and fresh air!

No comments: